Tuesday, January 20

A Different View of Inauguration Day

Today, friends of the interwebs, we made history. A man by the name of Barack Hussein Obama (Ever heard of him?) was inaugurated as the 44th president of the United States of America. This is the first time in my conscious, active life that I feel proud to be an American. He is the poster child of what America has become; a people bonded by their diversity and the ability to celebrate what makes us different.

Obama’s inauguration broke attendance records. Now, we all saw the crowd on Capitol Hill on every television station known to man, but just to get the actual scope of the attendance, here are some before and after shots:


Guess which is which…




Now, I have a soft spot for triumph over adversity, so I’m that chick who cries at every cheesy inspirational sports movie (I can only watch Miracle once a year, I’m way too drained after) and every episode of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, even with cracked out Ty Pennington screaming into a megaphone. So today I got a little misty not because a black man, who has gone through so much adversity, triumphed in the face of those persecuting him throughout history. No. That’s silly. I mean, Obama’s not THAT cool to have a one way ticket on the persecution express… I’m a gay, let me tell you about persecution… I teared up for a nation overcoming a stereotype, an era of all around bad vibes. This is just the beginning people. A very long journey lays ahead of us, put your support where you think it’s needed most. Personally, I support the people of America and their decisions. Obviously, it’s what we all wanted and what we all need.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment